The strong mandate given to Brendan and the Labour Party in Dublin North in the 2011 General Election reflects the energy and hard work Brendan put in both nationally and locally through his work in the Seanad from 2007 to 2011. In the Seanad he was party spokesperson on Education and Science, Transport and Defence and was a member of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Enterprise Trade and Employment and of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Education and Science.
Educated at DIT, UCD and DCU, Brendan graduated with a degree in chemistry as well as being conferred with masters’ degrees in food science and business administration. All his working life he has worked in industry in the private sector, mainly in the technical and operations areas, and in senior managerial positions. He has worked in the Food and Chemicals sectors of industry.
Originally from the Donabate/Portrane area, Brendan has been living in Skerries since the late 70’s. He has been deeply involved in his community and local sports groups where he has held many positions including:
- Representative on Fingal Community Forum
- Member & treasurer of Skerries Community Association
- Secretary of the Hills & District Residents' Association
- Member of Skerries Community Centre Board of Management
A keen sportsman in his time, he played table tennis with St Johns, Portrane, hockey with St Ita’s, Portrane, Gaelic football with St Patrick’s, Donabate, and soccer with St Ita’s, Portrane, Sandville, Donabate, Skerries United and Lusk United. He also managed soccer teams at youth and senior level in Skerries.
Dublin Fingal (formerly Dublin North)
Euro Electoral Region:
Brendan was elected as the Labour Party TD for Dublin North, which is now known as Dublin Fingal. .
Baltrasna, Skerries, Co Dublin
- First contested Dublin North constituency, General Election 2007
- Elected to Seanad Eireann, July 2007
- Elected to the 31st Dáil, Feb.2011
- Member of Dáil Committee on Jobs, Social Protection and Education, June 2011
- Educated at DIT, UCD and DCU, graduated with a degree in chemistry as well as being conferred with masters' degrees in food science and business administration